Looking for an alternative that has similar benefits as Lavender essential oil then Petitgrain essential oil is what you are looking for! Petitgrain essential oil is steam distilled from the twigs and leaves of the bitter orange tree. Both lavender and petitgrain essential oils main constituents are linalool, linalyl acetate, and alpha-terpineol. You may be scratching your head saying “what does this mean for me?” Let me explain. To understand how our bodies can benefit from using essential oils, we need to look at the chemistry of each essential oil.
Here is a breakdown of the three chemical constituents above and how they benefit our bodies:
- Linalool is a naturally occurring monoterpene alcohol. Linalool has been examined for its cleansing properties, ability to promote calmness and relaxation, and support of several body systems.* Experimental research suggests that when inhaled, linalool may help to promote feelings of calmness and relaxation.
- Linalyl acetate is a lesser known monoterpene ester that is a chemical superstar in its own right. Experimental research has suggested that linalyl acetate supports healthy immune function and response.* It has also been found to be very soothing and calming to the gastrointestinal tract when taken internally.
- Alpha-terpineol is one of the isomers of terpineol, which is a monoterpene alcohol. Research has found this chemical constituent to have an anti-microbial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory in our bodies.
Do you have petitgrain essential oil or want to try it and you are not sure how to use it? Check out some of our favorite and easy ways we use this essential oil.
- We apply a few drops of Petitgrain to our necks or we take 1-2 drops in a veggie capsule in the morning to stay relaxed throughout the day.
- At night, we diffuse Petitgrain with either Lavender or Bergamot essential oils to help us get a restful night’s sleep.
- We add 1-2 drops of Petitgrain to fractionated coconut oil and apply to blemishes. We always use carrier oil before using them on our skin to keep the essential oil on our skin and to help it penetrate. Using a carrier oil also helps minimize skin irritation.
Petitgrain has a fresh, floral, and herbaceous aroma that makes it unique fragrance making it ideal for the man in your life! With all of its wonderful health benefits, you can’t go wrong using this amazing essential oil.
Christy’s Bonus TIP: I also like to add a drop of Petitgrain to my tea and drink 30 minutes before bed not only for the immunity and digestive benefits it provides me but also to help me fall asleep. I’ll add 2 Serenity softgels if I am needing extra sleep support. This combo helps me fall asleep and stay asleep.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.